Vinaka Fiji Volunteering Experience
Being under-resourced and lacking educational support are just two of the challenges facing the remote schools of the Yasawa Island. This Vinaka Fiji Volunteering programme supports schools and teachers by assisting with classroom teaching (in English) based on the Fijian National curricular, through classwork, literacy games and educational activities.
Volunteer to make a difference by supporting students from pre-school right through to adult students who are returning to school to make the most of an opportunity for education. This is a very rewarding, heart-warming and fun programme to be involved in.
Children, Schools & Education
This programme supports schools and teachers by assisting with classroom teaching (in English) based on the Fijian National curricular through classwork, literacy games and educational activities. The work by Vinaka Volunteers is having a profound impact on the many students it interacts with.
Early Childhood Programme
This programme is attached to each village kindergarten and focuses on children from 3.5 to to 5 years old. The aim is to encourage parents to be our partners in developing an understanding and appreciation of the value of their children attending school.
One-on-One Reading Programme
This valuable programme is established at Naviti District schools and Yasawa High School. The aim is to improve learning outcomes for students who are significantly below the national average in literacy.
Yasawa High School and Vinaka Fiji Volunteering have established two areas of vocational studies - Agriculture and Marine Studies - and work together to plan, implement and assess the programmes. Each consists of a one-year course.
Since January 2012, in partnership with the community, Government, Rotary and individual donors, GVI Fiji and Vinaka Fiji Volunteering have achieved:
- More than 3,000 volunteer and Vinaka Fiji Volunteering staff hours contributed to the education programmes.
- The Fiji Government offered support to the Yasawa Trust Foundation by fully funding a more efficient water harvesting system for the Naviti District schools and Yasawa High School.
- Vinaka Fiji Volunteering and the Western Regional Library supported the development of the very first Yasawa community library at Muaira Village.
- Playco Playgrounds and Makara Model School New Zealand donated a playground to the children of Naviti District School.The Vinaka Fiji Volunteering team erected the playground which will allow for many hours of interactive play among the children.
- As a direct result of additional resources provided by Vinaka Fiji volunteers in conjunction with the Yasawa High School teachers, for the first time in 37 years a Dux Trophy sponsorship was awarded to one of the students.
How You'll Make a Difference
The local council and the Fijian Government has specifically requested our assistance with English language teaching, maths, sports education and arts with the long-term aim to assist in teacher education and training. You will be immersed in the Fijian culture while supporting locals and improving their prospects.
- Work with children, teenagers and young adults in one-on-one and group tasks
- Spectacular island location
- Immerse yourself in the local culture
- Improve the students’ future prospects
- Varied educational roles
- Memories for life
- All programs are Saturday to Saturday
Add this volunteering programme onto any Awesome Adventures Fiji experience. Talk to us for more information.
*Terms and booking conditions apply. Visit www.vinakafiji.org or your preferred travel agent. Volunteers must provide a Police Clearance check or 'Working with Children' check from their country of residence. Copies must be received along with completed registration form at least two weeks prior to commencement of program. During the school holidays in Fiji an alternative holiday education programme will be conducted in the village. School terms are available on request.
Add on to your adventure
A Vinaka Fiji volunteering experience in the Yasawas can be added on to the beginning or end of your Awesome Adventure as a way of saying "thank you" to the islanders.